Wednesday, February 20, 2013

I had to write this visualization for my college success class. I was really pleased with how it came out so I thought I would share it here.

I walk on a beach meditating feeling the energies of sun, the salt air, the waves a sonic vibration felt in every cell in my body. “It has been a long hard road to get here” I think breaking my meditation. Kneeling at the edge of the water where land meets sea as the tide begins to turn in for the night. I turn my mind from the excitement of cusp and reflect back on the history of my family and my journey to this cusp attempting to grok in fullness.
My Great Father Jacob Overman of Saxony came to America in the 1667 a bricklayer and Quaker, he came to this country seeking religious and personal freedom. He spent 6 years as an indentured servant. 11 generations pass in a blur of hopes, dreams, fears, joys, laughter, tears, and sweat.
My early life was shaped by my differences. Asthma and allergies meant my diet was far more restricted than my peers, Homeschooling set me apart as well. Frustrated with school I started working early. However the time I spent working hard in various fields shaped me for my awakening in 2007 at Danial Boon National park in Kentucky. The total lunar eclipse had a similar energy to this day. That is a key period that changed me while I was laid up after the accident and began to think about life ethics and my sense of place in the universe, a sense awakened by the eclipse. Sadly it took another 6 years to overcome fears and obstacles in order to start my education at ECC.
I laugh thinking about my early fear of mathematics unable to estimate how many tens of thousands of equations I've solved to reach this point. A staggered journey across the continent as I achieved my academic goals, leaving behind gardens and projects. Taking knowledge, genes, experience and connections with people and places. So much work, effort, headaches, and red tape but all worth it. The water has reached my chest the waves tug strongly but I remain rooted. My eyes focus as the first rays of the moon break over the waves, the colors of the sky burn with intensity deep rich shades. A ship breaks between me and the moon a much smaller boat splinters off growing larger as it speeds to me. I think about tomorrow the weeks spent sailing , finalizing information on speaking engagements, wondering how this will all be received.”Are you ready?” my friend asks throwing out a line “of course” I reply feeling a sense of loss as I break connection with the land of my birth. But the sense of wonder and awe that fill me overpower that. There are hungry people to feed and educate, deserts to heal, and new connections to make the world calls me its secrets and wonders have pulled me this far and will lead me on.

No comments:

Post a Comment